The members of First Congregational Church are truly the ministers of the church. It is through their hearts and hands that the work of the church is done. There are many ways to serve at FCC, both inside and outside the church. Below are our key ministries.
Ministry of Children & Youth: is responsible for creating a fun and engaging environment for our children as they grow in faith. With the support of Mattie Johnson, our Director of Christian Education, the ministry:
- helps set the direction for our Sunday School and Youth Ministry
- plan social, spiritual, and educational events for families
- explore kid-friendly opportunities for service and “faith in action” projects
- create and sustain our Sunday School space
Our program is young and growing by leaps and bounds so there is a place for everyone who would like to serve! Please contact ministry chair Phyllis Stone, email@example.com or committee members Ali Campbell, firstname.lastname@example.org and Kathy Reany, email@example.com for more information.
- the Stewardship Ministry which organizes our annual pledge drive as well as regular annual offerings to the wider United Church of Christ;
- the Physical Properties Ministry which, with the support of Jay Richardson our Property Manager, handles the maintenance of our building and grounds as well as our rental tenants;
- and monitors our financial resources through our investments.
If you have skills in fundraising, construction, maintenance, landscaping or financial investment, this is the ministry for you. Please contact Dick Thomas, FCC treasurer and MCR chair firstname.lastname@example.org .
- a friendly visit to homebound members
- transportation for frail elderly
- a hot meal to folks recovering from illness
- a thoughtful card or a phone call to someone in need of cheer.
There are many ways to serve and all gifts are welcome! Please Contact ministry chair Julie Matz-Rees at email@example.com to learn more and/or to contribute.
Ministry of Hospitality: welcomes all people into our community to find their place in God’s family. Hospitality folks are those who first greet and welcome our visitors and there are many ways to serve:
- as ushers during worship
- as coffee hour hosts on Sunday morning
- organizing and serving at special fellowship events (church picnic, pot-luck suppers, movie nights, etc) throughout the year
- promoting our FCC message through social media, our website, press releases, and special events.
If you like to cook, host, or meet new people, this is the ministry for you! Contact ministry chair Lisa Marie Bronson firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
- Bridges Outreach for the Homeless
- Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Broadway House for Continuing Care (HIV/AIDS nursing home),
- Seventh Day Adventist Soup Kitchen
- Kidsave Adoption program
- Turkey Drive for the Community Food Bank of NJ, Giving Tree and CropWalk for the hungry.
Many of these projects are served during our “Jesus Has Left the Building…And We Followed” service weekends. In addition, P&J houses our Fair Trade Ministry which promotes global economic justice through selling fairly traded products, creating awareness through hosting lectures and documentary films and working to develop sustainable practices in our church and community. For more information, contact ministry chair Jack Cuffari email@example.com.
Ministry of Spirituality and Worship: With the support of Rev. Ann Ralosky and Julie Morgan (Director of the Music Ministry), the Ministry of S&W:
- gathers monthly to share ideas, inspirations and logistics for the many events of the liturgical year including Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week and Easter.
- support the Wednesday labyrinth walks
- and develops spiritual and educational small group experiences offered throughout the year. Interested? Please contact ministry chair Elaine Wells firstname.lastname@example.org .